In this blog I will give an overview about extracting Datasources with the DeltaQ component to extract
- Extractors / Datasources from SAP ERP / ECC or
- Export Datasources from SAP BW / BI
and give some tips how to troubleshoot errors that may occur.
A Datasource is a set of fields that provide the data for a business unit (e.g. Customer, Material). Datasources are one of the data retrieval mechanisms in the SAP source system. Generally Datasources are used to transfer data from SAP ERP / ECC into SAP BW / BI. Export Datasources are used to transfer data from one SAP BW / BI system to another one.
With the DeltaQ component you can extract those Datasources to any third-party destination system supported by the Theobald Software products, even if you don’t have an SAP BW / BI system.
- DataSource for transaction data
- DataSource for master data
- DataSource for attributes
- DataSource for texts
- DataSource for hierarchies
If an error occurs while extracting a Datasource with the DeltaQ component, please go through the following steps:
- Be sure that you have the necessary authority objects: http://my.theobald-software.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/7/4/authority-objects Typically you will get an error with the message text ‘No authorization‘ if you don’t have the right authority objects.
- Use SAPGUI to test the Datasource with the Extraction Checker (transaction RSA3) and be sure that the Datasource runs successfully and delivers data
- Do the customizing steps: http://help.theobald-software.com/TheobaldSoftwareGmbH/default.aspx?pageid=customizing_for_deltaq&skin=Xtract_IS_EN
- Customizing Check: Click on the Button Check Customizing in the DeltaQ Component and be sure that the check comes back all green.
- Activation: Click on the Activate button or select alternatively the option ‘Automatic Synchronisation’. If the Datasource metadata changes, e.g. new columns are added, or if you have changed the SAP system, a new activation is required.
- If Datasource parameters are used (refer to the Extraction Checker step), be aware of the SAP syntax, e.g. a SAP date has the following syntax yyyymmdd (20121225)
- If you are using the setting ‘automatic data conversion’, check if the error disappears by deselecting the setting. The error may occur because invalid SAP values could not be converted.
- If the error is ‘The transfer structure for object OBJECTNAME must be regenerated‘, then go to the settings and change the transfer type from tRFC to IDoc
- If you are using the Delta update mode and you get the error: ‘Error in data selection‘, please delete all requests in the data queue: Settings -> Request Maintenance. Alternatively you can delete the requests in the transaction RSA7. After deleting the requests initialize the Datasource again with the Delta Initialization mode.
- If all Datasources get the error, go to step 1, alternatively
- If you can’t fix the error, send us the SSIS log and the SAP trace files:
- SSIS log: The SSIS log can be found e.g. in the output window or in the progress tab.
- SAP trace: Activate tracing, execute the Task and go to the log folder and send us all the log files: http://my.theobald-software.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/72/4/how-to-activate-logging-for-xtract-is